Questions by Lynn.
1. Firstly, what do you make of The Guild and why do you think Anafiel declined to join them. Do you think Imriel should join them?
We’re clearly not getting a big picture, but they seem a bit shady. I don’t know what their larger goals are, other than preservation of self. They can change loyalties, presumably, so what’s to say even if Anafiel had joined, there wouldn’t also have been Guild members in Skaldia that favored the invasion? It looks to me that in Terre D’Ange, one can influence politics. One can petition courts or rulers and speak their mind even if they can’t vote. (I don’t know exactly how D’Angeline politics work, but it seems like the people have somewhat of a say.) My guess is that Anafiel saw through the Guild to realize that they lacked purpose, other than to serve the interests of its own rulers, and that there was no way, as a mere underlying, to influence the Guild.
I don’t think Imriel should join either. I think he also sees them as powerless or useless.
2. We have the philosophical debates – how do you think these are going to play a part in the story overall, if at all?
This is Imriel’s coming of age book about him wanting to be heroic and good and trying to figure out what that means in everyday life. The class’s discussion of virtues will likely influence Imriel’s opinions and actions.
3. Claudia – what do you make of her. Do you trust her?
Yes and no? I trust her to be discrete (I don’t think she’s going to turn on Imriel as such), but we know she’s holding back a lot. I think she wants to feel more powerful and important than she is and is using the Guild, Imriel, and her husband to achieve that. I think I like her well enough though. I think in her mind, she’s not using Imriel. Or using him no more than he’s using her.
4. We have lots of possible attempts on Imri’s life, even going so far as to start a student riot – and his own attempts to bring these to a stop. What do you make to all of it?
I like how Imriel wanted to buy out the Travalion contract against him. Now he has that over Bernadette. What do you guys think he will do with that information?
5. Two particular characters that I find intriguing are Canis and Piero. What were your first impressions and how do they differ now?
Hmm… for Canis, I guess I had no initial thoughts, other than there’s more to meets the eye, as Imriel seems to understand.
For Piero, my opinion definitely improved from him chasing pigeons. I really liked the class where he just took them to the workers of Tiberium and made his students face their privilege.