This week it’s chapters 20-27. Questions by me. Here there be spoilers.
1. Maslin says that Imriel’s gift of Lombelon made the estate small by so easily discarding it. Eamonn says it was Maslin that made it small. Who do you think is right?
Maybe a little bit of both, but I want to agree totally with Eamonn. It’s one of those no one can make you feel bad without your consent sort of things. Of course, it doesn’t really work out so nicely for me in practice. For Maslin, I understand why the situation sucks. But for Imriel’s mom (both of them, in a way. Melisande plotted with Isidore, and Phedre brought them both down), the land would be his. (Of course, Isidore is responsible for his own actions.) It sucks to have to feel grateful to her son.
2. What do you think of Imriel’s oath to Sidonie? Do you believe him? Would you believe him were you in Sidonie’s position? When he makes this oath, Imriel is still fairly young and doesn’t have a lot of experience in politics. Do you think there’s anything that could change his mind?
I think Sidonie would be foolish if she were to totally believe him. To me, he seems genuine and guileless, but she doesn’t know that. And having more insight into Imriel’s mind and experience, I don’t think he will change his mind. But again, Sidonie doesn’t know that.
3. Things change between them during a hunt. What do you think?
I love Sidonie laughing at him. This is the first time (IIRC) that we see her not so guarded. I love how this is like his chance to be a hero like Joscelin, but it’s just a deer.
4. Imriel becomes the unwilling target or subject of potentially a treasonous plot. What do you think of Bertran’s reaction? Of Ysandre’s reaction and advice to Imriel?
I don’t think I blame Bertran for how he reacted. Like Sidonie, he doesn’t know all what’s going on with Imriel. And like Imriel, he has treason in his own family’s past that he doesn’t want any association with. I guess he’d be a better friend if it made him more empathetic… something like “inorite! Doesn’t it suck to be accused of treason.” But with Imriel so guarded, I don’t know. Maybe I’m less inclined to judge Bertran for failing to know his friend better and his own caution.
As for Ysandre, I thought it was kind of a sweet moment that Imriel realized she was afraid for him. Though Bariquel is a dick.
5. What do you think of Talorcan and Dorelei and the idea of the betrothals?
Seems pretty tidy. Almost too perfect.
6. Mavros takes Imriel to Valerian House and forces him to confront…less vanilla sex, if nothing else, and Imriel eventually gives in. What do you think of this? Was Mavros too pushy? Why did Imriel give Sephira her own signale?
I don’t know. Last week, we talked about the “hail Mary pass” of the picnic by the lake. Maybe this was partly Mavros tired of tip toeing around Imriel. Seems to have worked though?