Time for week 4 of Kushiel’s Avatar. Phew, what a week. Shit got real. Questions by Susan.
1) What do you think of Phedre’s dealings with Naamah, Elua, and Kushiel in this section?
The gods use their servants harshly. As an anguissette, Phedre’s role is to restore balance in the world. Up until this part of the book, I thought she was the balance to Melisande. But after this, I think her purpose is to defeat the Mahrkagir. I don’t think Phedre would have gone into Drujan for anyone other than Melisande (maybe for Joscelin, but he wouldn’t have asked). Thus I don’t think Imriel was chosen randomly and it wasn’t punishment for Melisande.
2) We have met the Mahrkagir. Are we dealing with true madness? Does he still know right from wrong?
I don’t think knowing right from wrong is the only definition of insanity, but it’s one of the ones for establishing criminal responsibility. Yes, he knows right from wrong. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t understand what ill thoughts, ill words, and ill deeds means.
3) The zenana is full of interesting new characters. Who has caught your interest so far? What do you think of Phedre’s first encounters with Imriel?
Kaneka!! I just love her. I also love Phedre being gentle to Erich. And Phedre’s first encounter with Imriel is awesome. Probably not what Phedre was expecting. I love Imriel and his moxie.
4) Phedre has her first night with the Mahrkagir. Thoughts?
I can’t even.
5) Who do you think is having a more difficult time, Joscelin or Phedre, and why?